@Article{ barnettburkett2001,
    author = {Jim Barnett and H. Clark Burkett},
    title = {The Forks of the Road Slave Market at Natchez},
    journal = {Journal of Mississippi History},
    volume = 63,
    number = 3,
    month = {Fall},
    pages = {169--187},
    year = 2001,

p. 170: Forks of the Road market located “at the busy intersection of Liberty Road and Washington Road about one mile east of downtown Natchez”; Liberty Road a.k.a. “Old Courthouse Road” or “Second Creek Road.”

p. 171: appears in maps as early as 1808, but expands dramatically after 1823.

Quotes extensively from Ingraham account in p. 172-177, provides detailed description of what the market may have looked like.

p. 178: Mentions the 1833 city ordinance requiring interstate traders to keep slaves outside city limits, which benefited business at Forks

p. 180: Also discusses some evidence that “character certificates” were offered (and sometimes required) as documentation for “imported slaves” from out of the state, housed in Adams County Record Book, at the Adams County Chancery Clerk’s Office.

p. 181-182: Discusses coffles from Virginia to Natchez run regularly by traders named Franklin and Armfield, as well as shift to steamship transportation

p. 184-185: Griffin and Pullum mentioned as advertising that they had a lease at the Forks “for a term of years”

p. 185:

In January 1853 the Forks of the Road intersection was especially busy, with James and Griffin & Pullum sharing market space with another longtime interstate slave trader, R. H. Elam. Business at the market continued to boom during the 1850s.

p. 186: the market later became the site of a “contraband camp” during the Civil War, and is shown in an 1864 Civil War map.